Friday 4 November 2011

Brushing up traditions


Sachertorte! Sachertorte! Sachertorte!
Who has never had a slice of one of the most famous Viennese culinary specialties? This delicious cake was invented by chance by the Austrian Franz Sacher in 1832 for the Prince of Metternich in Vienna and has become a global success.  

I always loved it but since I moved to Austria I've had it so often I decided it was about time for me to learn how to make it myself. Furtehrmore I was recently sitting at the Hotel Sacher with a friend eating a slice of original Sachertorte whilst talking of how good his mother's Sachertorte is so... I decided to take out of my kitchen drawer an old book of traditional Austro-hungarian recipes from the end of the 19th century. I opened the yellow page to the recipe of the original Viennese Sachertorte and started baking. The result was impressive: easy to do and delicious to eat. With my brother, who is very critic, we compared my cake with the one of the Furst Konditorei and we both agreed that my Sacher tasted better. I'm a modest baker!
So let the contest begin ;)
And I'm sorry but this time I will not share the recipe... I'll keep it a secret!

Enjoy
Martina



 





 

This last picture is so cute. This is my younger brother Egon with the famous Sacher boy. The picture was taken a couple of years ago durimg one of our first visits in Salzburg. My brother is now almost 1.90 m. tall... it'a probably thanks to all the Sachertorte he ate!

1 comment:

  1. taste it, it is the original most delicious recipe ever

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading! I appreciate your comments, enquiries, and suggestions :)

Tiny Hand With Heart