Thursday 6 June 2013

The Grinch

And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the rain, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And puzzled and puzzled ´till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn´t before. What if rucola, he thought, bought at the store. What if rucola, perhaps, can become a pesto like never before!
- Dr. Seuss and Me -

Sometimes I end up buying too much salad, especially rucola which I like to eat with carpaccio, bresaola or salmon, but not alone. Rucola is too bitter to be eaten alone, just like the Grinch, one of my favourite characters by Dr. Seuss. So when I don´t know what to do with it or when I notice it is starting to shrivel up I transform it into a delicious bread-spread or pesto (I hate to throw food away and almost never do!!!). But this can be done with any other salad type.

For the spread:
Take your salad leaves, wash them and put them in an electric mixer with a spoon of olive oil, and as much philadelphia cheese is needed to obtain a nice green cream. If the rucola is too bitter you can add a pinch of sugar. Now you can enjoy a nice peace of bread with some salmon or egg and your bread-spread.

For the pesto:
Take your salad leaves, wash them and put them in an electric mixer with a hand-full of pine nuts, grated parmesan, and as much olive oil is needed to obtain a fluid but consistent pesto sauce. There you go, your pesto is ready to be eaten with pasta, salad, carpaccio, tomatoes, and mozzarella.

Enjoy 
Martina

P.S. I told you this was savoury week!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! I appreciate your comments, enquiries, and suggestions :)

Tiny Hand With Heart